classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Caleb: Living With the Wait

Noey
Administrator
This week's study is all about Caleb, post you comments and discussion points whenever you want
Noey
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Caleb: Living With the Wait

Noey
Administrator
Introduction: The Jewish people left Egypt and slavery and began a journey for freedom and property ownership in Canaan, the wonderful land God promised to them. The trip to Canaan took only about 15 months. Put yourself in their place. What would be your attitude if you were God's people? What questions would you have about the land? What expectations would you have? Would you be grateful for this opportunity?
Noey
Reply | Threaded
|

The Panda
I would probably wonder why we would leave a relatively 'safe' place to go somewhere where we do not know what the situation would be like, to uncertainty, this would be down to my relationship with God
and my faith/trust that God is doing what is best for me
The Panda
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Reply | Threaded
|

The Panda
Hello
The Panda
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noey
Administrator
In reply to this post by The Panda
I think the older generation would be able to give a good description of how the Jews must have felt. Most of them left the small island they grew up on and journeyed to the motherland to better themselves, they left behind family and friends and went to a land of "giants" some lost their faith and adapted to the new environment, some stuck to what they felt was the right thing. In both cases however, I think they were in a strange land and got frightened. Its how we deal with fear that separates people, Caleb dealt with it very different to most of the other spies.
Noey
Reply | Threaded
|

The Panda
Ok, so Caleb dealt with it different, but WHY did he deal with it differently, was he born different, did he grow up in a different environment, was it nature or nurture ?
The Panda
Reply | Threaded
|

Noey
Administrator
Interesting thought Panda, but lets look at Caleb's life, Joshua 14:6-10 gives an interesting insight to his life, for the first 39 years of his life, he was a slave, he knew nothing but slavery, no freedom to do anything but work without pay, then he spent the next 15 months on a mission to get to the promise land, then, more amazingly, the text says he spent the next 45 years wondering in the desert.
So the geezer was 85 years old when he finally arrived!!! The next 2 verses (11-12) showed the kind of spirit he had, he was ready and rearing to fight for his land that was promised him.

I think from that, his environment didn't make a difference, but he had a belief that surpassed nature or nurture and I suppose that's the kind of faith we need now in this day and age.
Noey