Can a Christian be their true self infront of other Christians without the worry of being judged?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Can a Christian be their true self infront of other Christians without the worry of being judged?

lovelyladybird2000

3The LORD appeared to us in the past,a saying:

“I have loved you with an everlasting love;
I have drawn you with loving-kindness.
4I will build you up again
and you will be rebuilt, O Virgin Israel.
Again you will take up your tambourines
and go out to dance with the joyful. Jeremiah 31:3-4

Can too much religion suppress/stunt a person ? In the bible many bible characters seem to be allot more expressive and uninhibited.

Is it personality which restricts people rather than religion?
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Can a Christian be their true self infront of other Christians without the worry of being judged?

lovelyladybird2000
This post was updated on .
I am a Christian and I do not see a problem with having wholesome fun. It makes me happy to see others enjoying themselves.

If it is true that God accepts us for who we are and knew are characters before we were created in our mothers womb. Can we expect our brothers and sisters in Christ to accept us too? I read the bible and know the many sins described, but I don't read that having fun is a sin but many Christians think it is.
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Can a Christian be their true self infront of other Christians without the worry of being judged?

Noey
I think this is one of those questions that ends up being really subjective. The thing is with religion (at least organized religion) it brings together like minded people with a particular slant or expectation. Most organized religion has a list of creeds that all accept and people who don't operate within those creeds are looked at as backsliders. Off course there are many good reasons to have a list of expectations from everyone, it brings unity to the collective as what I like to call it. It brings a common set of values unique to the denomination, its part of their identity so for example, our church originally recommended all to avoid the theatre and this became one of the identifying mark of an SDA. These days a lot of people question the validity of that stance due to different era and circumstances which sometimes leads to a conflict between the older nad younger generation.

The same can be said of your example where Christians are expected to be serious people looking forward to the Second Coming, so the thinking goes, if you're having fun then your mind is not on serious life changing matters and hence you are not living up to the general expectations of a Christian. Off course this is far from true but changing the consensus will always cause friction.
Noey
Reply | Threaded
|

lovelyladybird2000
We have to make sure that churches don't operate like an elite club where when you do not appear to fall in line, you are treated as an outcast. This is not biblical, the mere fact that we read and talk about the many characters in the bible is that they were just that - CHARACTERS and not robots to be suppressed and controlled.

My bible says in Romans 3:23

23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.

So we ALL need redemption.
Reply | Threaded
|

lovelyladybird2000
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by Noey
Question : Do you think Christians with non judgmental characteristics maybe able to reach more people in the world than those with judgmental characteristics?
Reply | Threaded
|

Noey
The obvious answer is off course. People are able to see through the talk and if what you say is judgemental, most would avoid you like the plague.
Noey