classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Jealousy

Noey
Introduction

Do you dwell on the fact that beautiful young women will get old? Handsome men will lose their hair and gain a stomach? Gravity overtakes all? The rich should be taxed more? Welcome to the world of the envious and jealous! Some envy may have good economic results - you work diligently to buy things. The problem is that keeping up financially with those around you is a moving target. With each new level of society you rise to, you find people who are richer and have even more stuff. The work to keep up never ends! What is the solution? Let's plunge into our study to see what the Bible teaches us about jealousy and how to deal with it!

http://www.ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/11a/less10.html
Noey
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Jealousy

lovelyladybird2000
People should be happy for those who are doing well for themselves without getting jealous. They should think about their own God given blessings and stop comparing.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noey
Its a very good theory and something we all should practice but reality shows that there are a lot of people who are/get jealous, even inside the church.
Noey
Reply | Threaded
|

Noey
We've all heard this question before but lets throw it out here and see what we think.

If God created perfect angels, how did jealousy become part of Lucifer's makeup?
Noey
Reply | Threaded
|

lovelyladybird2000
Free will
Reply | Threaded
|

Noey
OK, so what can we free-willed beings do to avoid getting jealous bearing in mind a third of the angels believed what Lucifer was preaching?
Noey
Reply | Threaded
|

Vincisunshine
I think it all depend son our relationship with christ.  We are all to strive for the best but be comfortable and happy and contented with God has blessed us with.  We are all blessed with different talents for differeent reasons.  If we keep this in mind it will alleviate the jealousy.  

Jealousy has cause many a destruction in families and friends, even to the point of death.  We have to be very careful.  On the same token,  people sho think they have been blessed more than others in some way or the other and seek to rub this in peoples face, is not helping the situation either.  

We as christians sometimes are too much of I-men and I-women.   We are to be thankful and grateful for our blessings but never use it to make yourself stand out or make others feel lesser than yourself.
Reply | Threaded
|

Erene
I think jealousy starts with covetousness wanting or desiring what somebody has or is,  maybe it's their money or possessions or even positions
People can be so jealous of someone's talents, that they try to keep the person or persons down if they are better than them at certain things
Its a shame that these things are going on even in the churches  
Reply | Threaded
|

lovelyladybird2000
It is a real tragedy when the green eyed monster rears its ugly head in some Christians to the point where they try to discredit others somehow for the obvious talents they might possess. I think these people should ask God to deal with such feeling of jealously/envy and He will help them to overcome them
Reply | Threaded
|

lovelyladybird2000
In reply to this post by Noey
Do you think jealousy is a sign of insecurity and if so was Lucifer insecure?

How do insecure people become secure?
Reply | Threaded
|

Erene
Jealousy generates a series of negative emotions: low self-esteem, hatred, suspicion, fear, guilt, and anger. Saul was afraid of David, as mentioned several times in the chapter. He might have been afraid of losing his kingly position or afraid of David becoming the absolute hero of Israel. But his main source of fear was “because the Lord was with David but had left Saul” (1 Sam. 18:12, NIV)
Saul had insecurities in his life as you can see, in his position as a king  and in his spiritual life
Reply | Threaded
|

Noey
So are you saying that jealousy is more about insecurities in one's life so if you can tackle that issue, jealousy will go? Give me some examples of insecurities and how best we could tackle them.
Noey
Reply | Threaded
|

lovelyladybird2000
I think some people could have insecurities about their looks like Michael Jackson who ended up having lots of plastic surgery but he may not necessarily have been a jealous person. Jealousy and insecurity don't necessarily always have to go hand in hand.
Reply | Threaded
|

Erene
People who are jealous of others, maybe insecure in their relationships, they may lack self confidence and not happy with themselves
Reply | Threaded
|

Joann
is jealousy always a bad thing?  
Reply | Threaded
|

Noey
I'm trying to think of a situation where jealously is a positive thing but haven't come up with anything. The closest thing is where a loving couple may project their relationship with extreme jealousy and off course the Bible say God is a jealous God, but I think in both cases the use of a negative term is just a tool to highlight the depth of feeling on the matter.
Noey