8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Literal or Symbolic

Noel
Administrator
This post was updated on .
I have relocated your post to this group as its not part of the Sabbath School study
Reply | Threaded
|

Literal v Symbolic

lovelyladybird2000
I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. Phillipians 4:13.

Is this literal or in the bible purely to encourage us to overcome our challenges in life?

Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Literal v Symbolic

Noey
I believe this is one of the many texts in the Bible that we can and should take literally. We humans sometimes limit God by our own  small thinking when He has so much more for us.
Noey
Reply | Threaded
|

The Panda
But then, how come if i say i want to move a mountain to save a thousand lives, and the mountain does not move, does this then mean that my faith is too weak to move the mountain.....or the text is not literal
The Panda
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noey
I suppose if the compare your statement with the text quoted in Phillipians then its either we have not exercised enough faith or it was not done "in Christ"

Occasionally, certain biblically-ungrounded but admittedly enthusiastic believers have attempted to "exercise faith" for a mountain to be moved, but it is not within the jurisdiction of a Christian to move a mountain for any artistic or casual reason. But if one had total and utter faith - the sort of faith which Christ had when He walked upon this earth - then such an individual could - if it were needful for some definite God-sanctioned reason - request the moving of a mountain - and God would do it!! However, realistically, few men of such faith and continual closeness to God have ever lived; we may think of Joshua, Elijah, Elisha, the apostles Paul, Peter and John but then struggle to think of more...
Noey
Reply | Threaded
|

Noey
This post was updated on .
*This message was posted by "The King"*

there are a few examples of mountain moving experiences, i think of the time when there was a rebellion against moses and he told the people to get away from these men and there tents, and then said if God does a new thing and the ground opens up and swallows you alive, then you will know that God has spoken by me, and of course exactly has he said it happened. Then there is in the time of Joshua when they were fighting a battle and running out of time, he commanded the sun to stand still, amazing, that must of affected all of planet earth, on the other hand there are many who think they have the faith of Jesus and can walk on water, and have attempted to, and have drowned. So we need to strike the balance between faith and presumption. I think even as we get older, God in our utter weakness, can give us strength to endure to the end.
Noey
Reply | Threaded
|

The King
there are certain rules of interpretation when studying the scripture, or inspired writings, a good book to start with is the voice of the spirit, by Juan Carlos Viera.
Reply | Threaded
|

The King
another book thats useful is Reading Ellen White by George Knight