classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
16 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Self Esteem

Noey
Introduction

God says, "whoever has haughty eyes and a proud heart, him will I not endure." Psalms 101:5. Worse, when Proverbs lists the six things God detests, guess what is listed first? "Haughty eyes!" Proverbs 6:17. On the other hand, Romans 2:7 endorses "glory, honor and peace" for everyone who does good. How should self-esteem and humility live together? Can they? Is self-esteem just another term for pride? Let's plunge into our study of the Bible and find out!

http://www.ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/11a/less09.html
Noey
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: Self Esteem

lovelyladybird2000
The best way to see ourselves is how God sees us.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noey
But I suppose if we have low self esteem then we can't see ourselves that way so how do we get out of that cycle?
Noey
Reply | Threaded
|

lovelyladybird2000
If one has a low self esteem then they should question their relationship with God. But I suppose the problems arise from people comparing themselves to others which seems to be a human trait. They need to understand that Gods does not bless everyone in the same way and one should be happy with what they have been given.
Reply | Threaded
|

Joann
if one has low self esteem it may not just be about their relationship (or lack of) with God.  Family, friends, work, there are many influences and people that can reinforce a person's insecurities. I suggest starting by identifying who or what in your life makes you feel inadequate or incapable.  
Reply | Threaded
|

lovelyladybird2000
Everybody has inadequacies, it does not mean they necessarily have low self esteem.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noey
Would you say that self-esteem is a worldly concept? and should have no place in a Christian's life?
Noey
Reply | Threaded
|

lovelyladybird2000
I would not say it has no place in Christian life as God wants us to have a high self esteem surely.
Reply | Threaded
|

lovelyladybird2000
In reply to this post by Noey
 1O LORD, my heart is not proud, nor my eyes haughty;
         Nor do I involve myself in great matters,
         Or in things too difficult for me.
    2Surely I have composed and quieted my soul;
         Like a weaned child rests against his mother,
         My soul is like a weaned child within me.
    3O Israel, hope in the LORD
         From this time forth and forever.
Psalm 131 1-3

Do I read this as - Understand your limitations without God?
Reply | Threaded
|

Godseeker
Society has taught us to be "politically correct" and respect other's backgrounds and values, however society has also played a part in making us feel more sensitive about these same things and more.  Sometimes, this can make a person have low self-esteem.  

It is important for someone to feel comfortable with themselves regardless of background, race or culture knowing that we are all made in the image of God.  Recognizing that GOD has placed a value on our life, not our friends or society, is a start to building self-esteem.  
Reply | Threaded
|

Godseeker
to continue...knowing God's love is not always enough for someone who has deep-rooted issues and whose low self-esteem is connected to more serious issues like depression etc.  sometimes low self-esteem is because a person just feels alone, unloved.  

There's a saying that you need to give love to feel love.  God made us social beings and put us here on earth with each other.  what about the golden rule to love others as yourself or do unto others as you would have them do unto you. likewise, treat others as you would want them to treat you.

I see self-esteem as a gift from God imparted by grace.  But maybe a person just needs a friend.  "Encourage one another, and build each other up" is one of my favourite texts.  

Reply | Threaded
|

Erene
Certain words or remarks can be very damaging to, they can cut down a persons self-esteem,
we need to be careful what we say, and how we say anything to any body.

How does certain people make us feel?

We need to feel good about ourselves
Reply | Threaded
|

lovelyladybird2000
3The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying:

“I have loved you with an everlasting love;
I have drawn you with loving-kindness.
4I will build you up again
and you will be rebuilt, O Virgin Israel.
Again you will take up your tambourines
and go out to dance with the joyful.

Jeremiah 31:3-4 this scripture is proof that God wants us to be joyful and dance and not sad and miserable.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noey
In reply to this post by Erene
OK, so here's a scenario, say there are people in the church that make me feel bad, how should I react to that? How do I feel good about myself and get a blessing while at the same time being in the presence of the very people that make me feel bad and contribute to my low self esteem?
Noey
Reply | Threaded
|

Erene
This post was updated on .
We have realized that, its not what people think of us, and talk about that matters, but it's what God thinks of us
we still have to love them with unconditional love, but do we have to like their bad behaviour or their bad attitude or what they say?  
We do not retaliate, we have the example of Jesus when He was being beaten and crucified He did not retaliate
We have to be patient, have resiliance and tolerance with them
Reply | Threaded
|

lovelyladybird2000
find other pastures where there is fertile soil