24 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The Promise of Prayer

Noey
Administrator
Introduction.

How is your prayer life?  Let's jump into our study of the Bible and examine what Jesus teaches us about prayer!

http://www.ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/12a/less10.html
Noey
Reply | Threaded
|

Re: The Promise of Prayer

Lovelyladybird2000
16 Confess your trespasses[a] to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. James 5:16

The effective,fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much, but does it matter if we are standing up, sitting down, on our knees, working, playing, studying, eyes open, eyes closed, since we need to pray without ceasing.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noey
Administrator
Your text showed one type of prayer and your comment suggested quite a few others, there are times when one type is appropiate and other times when they are not but for sure having a prayer in your heat all the time is the best.
Noey
Reply | Threaded
|

Lovelyladybird2000
So ones effective, fervancy of our prayer would not get altered when adopting various positions? I can see how eye closed can help us to focus and not get distracted
Reply | Threaded
|

Noey
Administrator
Under certain circumstances, closed eyes can also get us killed!!!!!
Noey
Reply | Threaded
|

calderman
In reply to this post by Lovelyladybird2000
Prayer is a way of helping empty self of self. It’s a way to die daily. It’s a way to reconnect with God on a very personal level. It’s a way to remind yourself that you are not your own, that you have been bought with a price, and that left to yourself you would crumble and die in a world full of powers and forces that could, in an instant, trample you into the dirt.
Reply | Threaded
|

Noey
Administrator
How does or how should prayer compare with meditation?
Noey
Reply | Threaded
|

lovelyladybird2000
This post was updated on .
Reply | Threaded
|

Noey
Administrator
nice songs
Noey
Reply | Threaded
|

Noey
Administrator
“God is my best Friend,” Judy said quietly to her friend Stacy as the adult Sabbath school was tranforming into the worship hour.1

“Mine, too,” Stacy replied. “The best Friend I’ve ever had. I talk to Him a lot.”

A set of shoulders in front of them paused and turned in their direction. It was Bob, one of the teachers for another adult class. “Be careful, ladies,” he said. “You talk like that too much and you make God look cheap.”

Judy and Stacy looked at each other. Bob opened his hands and gestured toward the women. “Let’s go into this room for a minute,” he said. “Church won’t start for a while.”

His first question was for Stacy. “What do you talk to God about?” he asked. “Do you seek His counsel for how to live a holy life?”

“Of course,” Stacy said.

“And what else?”

“Oh, I talk to Him about everything. My work, my family. Everything.”

“So do I,” Judy said. “I chat with Him all day long. And at night if I wake up.”

“Do you think this sort of ‘chatting’ is prayer?” Bob asked.

Silence. Then Stacy said, “Of course it is. There are many kinds of prayer. Conversational prayer is one type. Talking to Jesus as to a friend.”

Bob sighed. “We’d better go to the church service, but before we do, I want to warn you about taking God too lightly. He is the Creator of the universe, the Master Builder, the best of everything that’s good. We need to be very careful about trying to bring God down to our level and talking to Him as if we were equals. Think about it.”

Does it matter how we pray or is it more important that we just pray?
Noey
Reply | Threaded
|

lovelyladybird2000
Pray without ceasing so that means continuously.

Should it matter how we pray, just as long as we do, right?
Reply | Threaded
|

Noey
Administrator
Same question I asked yesterday, what do you think? whats more important, quality or quantity?
Noey
Reply | Threaded
|

lovelyladybird2000
Let us then approach the throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.Hebrews 4:16

Whether quantity or quality all that matters is that we are confident.
Reply | Threaded
|

calderman
In reply to this post by Noey
I think sincerity of heart and a humbleness of mind will lead to a better prayer life, it's not where, when or how, but mindfull that you are in conversation with God your creator.The Bible outlays the format of prayers both personal and congregational.
Even the most simplified of prayers are heard once coming from a sinners mouth, and this tells us alot because we do not need to impress God with our long speeches, big words and long expression even in congregational prayers. God listens to the heart and not what's coming from the mouth.
A healthy prayer life is necessary for a healty christian lifestyle, the more contact we have with God, the closer our relationship we have with Him.
Reply | Threaded
|

lovelyladybird2000
Can we be humble and have a sincere heart but lack confidence?
Reply | Threaded
|

calderman
confidence has nothing to do with personal prayers, once you have the ability to think, not necessarily to speak then God will hear you. People do lack confidence when praying publicly... sometimes they feel they don't say all the "right" things that people should say when praying, but as said before, God meets people where they are, He wants relationships with all of us and not just words.
Too often our prayers are "scripted", we have learned a pattern of nice words and we stick to that system of words, but friendship between two people deserved conversation and response without this we have a one sided friendship.
Reply | Threaded
|

lovelyladybird2000
I think of confidence on a much deeper level when it comes to prayer. It is irrelivant whether held publicly  or privately confidence to me means having absolute unshakable trust in the one you are speaking to.
Reply | Threaded
|

calderman
If you can't have the confidence in God, who else can you trust; Don't take this the wrong way, but one of the reasons why people fail to communicate with God via prayer is they fail to believe that God can hear and understand them or one feels self sufficient where we think that we don't need God.
In churches i think we don't pray enough, we spend too much time in non important matters and forget about praying for others and ourselves...
which leads me to a question, Is it always a good thing for other people praying for you?
Reply | Threaded
|

lovelyladybird2000
Reply | Threaded
|

Noey
Administrator
In reply to this post by calderman
I think its good when people pray for you but when you insist on others praying for you all the time, the meaning and value of the prayer changes for you and the reason can become wrong.
Noey